Well, Week 3 of the One Room Challenge has arrived. It’s weeks like this one that having a deadline and some accountability really push you to get things done.
If this is your first time here, thank you for visiting! I am working on our shared office space for the second time in the One Room Challenge, hoping that it gives me the motivation I needed to finally finish all the projects.
You can read about previous changes here!
Week 3 has seen a few things get accomplished, but not as much as planned. The plan was to make curtains and cornices for two windows and re-cover the lampshade on my Eiffel Tower lamp. Out of that list, only one item is complete!
I’m pretty happy with how the lamp turned out. I found it for about $20 a couple years ago but never could figure out what kind of shade to put on it. A round one doesn’t look right to me, but the one it came with was horrible (see below!). So I decided to disassemble the original shade frame to make something better.
Covering an oddly-shaped lampshade isn’t difficult, but it’s much more time consuming than covering a drum shade since you actually have to disassemble and reassemble it.
I started trying to get sick early this week, and my immune system apparently decided it wasn’t up to fighting it, so I’ve been under the weather for a couple of days. I felt groggy when I woke up after the first night taking medicine but decided to get to work anyway. Given the options of lying on the couch watching TV or making a window cornice, I chose to make the window cornice.
I followed the directions for a DIY cornice that I liked but in my Nyquil-induced stupor, I forgot I’d need 8 corner braces (and only bought 4) and also miscalculated the length of the wood cuts I’d need. The problems I created are fix-able, but I certainly made things harder on myself. So I’ve only finished one window cornice and will make the other one over the weekend.
|Oops. Something’s not right here.|
This was such an easy and straightforward process with the exception of the problems caused by my bad math!
My original plan was to do something like this for the windows in here, but I also like the idea of using navy instead of pink, especially since it’s a shared work space.
|I love the design on this cornice, but just a straight line was SO MUCH quicker and easier.|
So I made the first one with pink ribbon and plan to make the second one with navy ribbon and see which one looks better on the wall. The ribbon step is very easy so changing it out after I make my decision will be a quick process.
I haven’t hung the one finished cornice yet so used the timer on the camera to get an idea of what it will look like.
|We put up blackout lining to keep the room cooler in the summer but it’s not much to look at.|
I have the material for the curtains but haven’t made a single cut. I did throw them in the dryer with a wet towel to decrease my ironing time, but that’s about it. I chose to use sheer panels that claim to be insulating and will cut and stitch them into the sizes I need. Three panels seem to be the number I need for the four curtains I need for our two windows, but it remains to be seen whether I did that math right… The sewing will have to get done in Week 4!
Thank you for your pins, shares, tweets, and likes!