To-Do List Tuesday & a Master Bathroom Update

During September’s 30 Projects in 30 Days, I checked so many items off of the ever-expanding to-do list – 30, to be precise, in case you were wondering – but that barely put a dent in it.  So I’m going to continue whittling it down, tackling one thing at a time and sharing my progress on the blog on (most) Tuesdays.

When I ‘completed’ the master bathroom a couple weeks ago, I had a few lingering items on the to-do list:

Remaining to-do list items

  1. Lampshade for the lamp,
  2. Hang the photo,
  3. Find a small tray to corral toiletry items,
  4. Fix or purchase a new toilet paper holder.
  5. Buy a clock? I saw a cute little brassy one at Target for 10 bucks, which would be nice to tie in with the brassy lamp.
  6. Enjoy having a cute master bathroom! – ONGOING!!

I was able to knock several items out over the weekend and I’m sharing them today, plus a DIY non-skid rug backing from an old yoga mat I made for the slippery bathmat, which wasn’t even on my radar until I went for a little ride on it the other day.

  1.  I bought a lampshade at Target, but even the small is too big, so it’s back to the drawing board.  I decided to just take the lamp out of the room for now; it’s still great without a lamp.  Plus, there’s enough going on downstairs with my $75 DIY powder room in the One Room Challenge!
  2. The Mister hung the photo for me, but I managed to cut it out of any of the pictures I took for this post.  Oops.
  3. I figured out the small tray problem!  Most of the trays I found – that I actually liked – were really soap dishes and were too small.  The others were just huge.  Then I thought about the soap & lotion dispensers from Target in the downstairs bathroom.  It’s a set of two that sits in a little dish.  I tested the size with the tray from downstairs, and it was a perfect fit for the few toiletry items I wanted to keep on the counter.  Our bathroom dispenser got upgraded, and the second dispenser replaced the ugly lotion container on my nightstand.  Win-win-win!
  4. We had to break down and buy a new toilet paper holder.  The little screw was just too stuck in the old one and we couldn’t make it happen.  The new one is chrome like the old one and nicely matches the towel rods.
  5. I decided against the clock for now.  We had an alarm clock/radio in the bathroom the 8.5 years we’ve lived in this house, so it’s weird not to have one.  With the lamp out of the room now, there’s no need to match a clock to it, and we’re functioning fine without a clock so far.
  6. We’ve definitely been enjoying the cute bathroom!  It’s a welcome change from the old one and worth every minute that I put into it.
$200 Master Bathroom Refresh | Homespun by Laura

You can just barely see the bottom of the frame in this photo…

Additional items that required completion but didn’t make it on to the list above were a window covering of some sort and a solution for the slippery bathmat.

I haven’t been able to make a decision on the window covering, so for now we’ve hung a set of blinds.  I have some large scraps of sheer white curtain fabric so will probably ]stitch up an easy valance to cover the mechanics at the top of the blinds.  It’s so much brighter without those curtains we had before, and I don’t want to lose the light.

$200 Master Bathroom Refresh | Homespun by Laura

For about three weeks, we had to dodge the window. Having blinds again is so nice.

The bathmat was a surprisingly easy fix.  I had this old, thin yoga mat that came for free with a shoe purchase from DSW.  It actually traveled around the country with us last year on our 80-day road trip so I could do my post-run stretches in hotel rooms without touching the gross floors, but I had no need for it after we returned home.  It sat in a closet for a year, then it went to Goodwill.  Except the Mister somehow forgot to get it out of the car, so it came back.  I then decided I’d keep it because surely I could come up with a use for it.

Enter the slippery bathmat.  And a pair of scissors.

DIY NON-SKID RUG BACKING FROM OLD YOGA MAT

DIY NON-SKID RUG BACKING FROM OLD YOGA MAT | Homespun by Laura

I simply rolled the yoga mat out and trimmed it down to size, using the bathmat as a template.

DIY NON-SKID RUG BACKING FROM OLD YOGA MAT | Homespun by Laura

Plenty yoga mat remains to make a mat for another small mat or rug.

DIY NON-SKID RUG BACKING FROM OLD YOGA MAT | Homespun by Laura

This is a great – and free – non-skid upgrade to the cute bathmat.

DIY NON-SKID RUG BACKING FROM OLD YOGA MAT | Homespun by Laura

While the yoga mat was a pretty thin, lousy mat, especially on hardwood floors, it combines nicely with the bathmat to create a softer, cushier respite for our feet than the bathmat did on its own.

DIY NON-SKID RUG BACKING FROM OLD YOGA MAT | Homespun by Laura

There you have it!  A DIY  non-skid rug backing rom an old yoga mat.  One more thing checked off that list, but many remain.  I’ll be back next Tuesday with another installment.  Until then, check out the progress on our downstairs bathroom.

Laura

2 thoughts on “To-Do List Tuesday & a Master Bathroom Update

  1. SH says:

    until I went for a little ride on it the other day…(wittiest description of the day!)
    So clever with the yoga mat, and hope you’ve seen your “last ride.”

Leave a Reply