For some time, I’ve been halfheartedly looking for a new piece of furniture to serve as a small ‘media stand’ for the den. I couldn’t find anything I liked in thrift stores, so after a few months, I sort of stopped looking.
Then, one day last month, I was in the last mile of a 14-mile run in an historic neighborhood downtown, when up ahead of me I saw what appeared to be a piece of furniture on the side of the road. As I got closer, I saw that it wasn’t just my glucose-depleted state causing my imagination to run wild or a trick of the light; it was, in fact, an upside-down, three-legged nightstand that had seen better days. It was the perfect size and had the exact design I envisioned for my little media stand – a large opening for the cable box and DVD player and a drawer for small items (matches for the fireplace, extra extension cords, etc.) to be stored.
After we got our second dog about a year ago, the number of dog toys lying around the house multiplied and I finally got tired enough of tripping over them to do something about it. They needed a home, even if they would still wind up spread all over the house over time. I decided I wanted to find a cute wooden crate, attach some kind of feet to it, and toss all the toys inside – but not one of those unfinished ones from the craft store. I’ve got a few of those storing other things around the house, but I wanted this one to be different.
This project began over the summer with a Coke bottle that has been displayed on a shelf above my desk for about 8 years. I decided it was time to do something to make it useful, so after I discovered a cool lamp making kit online, I made a lamp out of it…which then created a need for a one-of-a-kind lampshade to go with it!
There’s a fresh produce store about 20 minutes from our house, and they sell soft drinks in glass bottles. Right next to the fridge where the bottles are stored is a wall-mounted bottle opener with a jar under it to catch the lids. The store just tosses the lids when the jar gets full, so I started collecting them every time I went to that store this summer to buy fresh strawberries. Over a period of about 5 months, I collected what seemed like enough to complete this project…and it turned out that I collected the exact right number – plus one extra! Couldn’t have planned it better if I’d tried. Continue reading